Art & Design Lead
About the role:
Working on some of the world’s most loved beauty brands (Beauty: cosmetics, hair, nails, fragrance, skin care), the Art & Design Lead will directly oversee and guide several Art Directors and designers ranging from junior to senior level across multiple art disciplines. You will need to know how to inspire creativity, mediate discussions, solve problems, decide on direction and extract the most of each member of your team. This is a hands-on role, so you will own the art direction and design work on your own project, while also overseeing your teams work and helping them to develop.
You will work on the ideation, execution and post production of multiple beauty, hair and fragrance campaigns (with the opportunity to work on future non-beauty work). You will be used to working in a demanding and fast-paced agency environment and be flexible to accommodate rapidly changing workflow and client demands with relentless enthusiasm and ownership. You are an organised creative spirit, with experience managing other and the skills and passion to help us inspire internal teams as well as clients!
Applicants must have a minimum 9 year track record of producing disruptive, award winning beauty and lifestyle content, and come with highly effective creative ideas and ability to execute across multiple media formats (equal experience working on still and moving imagery).
What you'll do:
- Work with producers to understand the client brief and establish appropriate creative direction.
- Lead the ideation, creative development and hands on creation of campaign videos, digital tool kits, point of sale imagery, AO content production, pitching, product photography for both global and regional brand teams.
- Creatively lead photo and video shoots in partnership with a producer and other members of the team; from ideation and shoot brief development through final asset delivery and design – leveraging client briefs, brand knowledge and data produced via our team of analysts to create arresting beauty visuals.
- Think through relevant and critical consumer differences of each target audience and/or retailer when producing any and all assets e.g. Boots vs Superdrug.
- Ensure creative tells a story, gets brand messaging across and answer campaign objectives e.g. brand recall or click through.
- Build strong relationships and effective working practices with the team and across the business to ensure the delivery of great work
- Manage, motivate and mentor senior, mid and junior weight Art Directors and Designers with a key focus on developing their creative and technical skill sets.
- Oversee, help develop and QC all Beamly creative from ideation to delivery; striving to push creative boundaries wherever possible.
- Keeps abreast of new emerging creative, design and technology trends to maintain innovation and freshness. Contribute towards thought leadership in the industry and team through talks, blog posts and industry articles.
- Partner up with beauty writers during conception and post production to ensure that messaging and visuals are developed and created in tandem and enhance one another.
- Presenting conceptual creative treatments to Director level and above, autonomously or as part of a team.
- Edit final results for presentation to the client and ensure that deliverables fulfil original brief.
- Understand what is creatively possible within various budgets.
- Help create an inspirational team culture!
What you'll bring to the role:
- Portfolio that displays excellent track record of inventive and compelling creative work in beauty.
- At least 9 years previous Art & Design experience for a creative or marketing agency, production house or in-house design team for a major brand.
- Excellent Design skills are required for this role, both in the concept and post production phases. Adobe Creative Suite, Illustrator, Photoshop are a must. Premiere/After Effects and motion graphics experience highly desirable.
- Proficient in Powerpoint/KeyNote.
- Ability to understand the role of brand and industry, market awareness and strategic business goals to campaign creation
- Strong knowledge and passion for trends emerging across beauty, fashion, lifestyle, and luxury sectors and the ability to use their knowledge to connect with consumers in their everyday lives
- Passion for the ins and outs of the beauty industry & advertising campaigns in the beauty arena and interest in following these in real time.
- Ability to eloquently and passionately present to large teams.
- Demonstrable ability to turn around beautiful content quickly and work on multiple projects simultaneously while also overseeing the creative work of others.
- The ability to deliver continuous content, tailored to match varying goals, platforms and budgets
- You have an excellent level of creative thinking and creative confidence and exceptional communication skills both verbal and visual
- Passionate about new ways of creating stories through still and moving imagery and learning / experimenting with new tools
- Experience managing a team of creatives; providing the framework and development needed to help them take their creative output to the next level.
- Exceptional project planning capabilities.
- Hands on multimedia skills an advantage (e.g. stills photograph, video shooting & editing)
- An obsession with tracking which parts of your output have succeeded (or failed) with your audience - and spreading learnings to the rest of the team.
- Ability to work in a self-directed way in an unstructured, fast-changing environment
The following behaviours and characteristics are key to success in the job. Post holders are expected to demonstrate all these competencies when fully developed into the role.
- Creative production: Ability to respond rapidly to creative briefs and create strong visual treatments and campaigns. Understanding of various formats for different digital platforms as well as POS design and print.
- Visual design: Pixel perfect design execution
- Planning and Organising: Ability to think ahead to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others, drawing from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Decision Making: Ready and able to take initiative, taking a proactive approach to work without close supervision.
- Managing: ability to nurture as well and manage a team of creatives with a clear dedication to their career progression and understanding how to get the most out of them creatively.
- Communication: Are comfortable presenting ideas to senior stakeholders and internal Directors. Excellent communication skills. Ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. Able to make complex problems understood by a range of audiences.
- Team working: Collaborative and constructive attitude and approach when working with project and discipline teams. Pro-active attitude to utilising downtime to the benefit of the team.
- Resilience: Able to maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, challenging deadlines, increased workload, set-backs or when dealing with difficult situations. Approach to work is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
Please note all applicants will be required to submit a portfolio with their application.
What it's like to work at Beamly:
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, TDD, weekly ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We enjoy a vibrant working environment in Covent Garden – very well-connected and surrounded by loads of shops, bars and restaurants. Team members have also organised a lunchtime pool league, weekly football game, visiting manicure service, and deals on local gym classes.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- A high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
- Private medical insurance (taxable)
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Extra day's holiday on your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
- Flexible office hours
What is the hiring process?
We believe that diverse teams build better products, and strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. If your application is successful you will move through three short phases:
- We'll check your CV meets the requirements for the role, which are detailed above.
- We'll arrange a 45 minute phone interview with you to talk about you and the role and gauge the relevance of your experience.
- We'll invite you to our office to meet our team
Any questions? If you have any queries whatsoever, there’s a box on the application form where you can let us know. We'll address them by e-mail or during the phone interview.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered.