Principal Software Engineer - Consumer Experiences
London, Covent Garden
About the role:
As a Principal Software Engineer at Beamly, you’ll be leading the delivery of a diverse range of consumer experiences. The vision for our consumer experiences is to leverage the latest online technologies, to deliver game-changing responsive experiences in collaboration with designers, UX experts and QA.
Our purpose is to improve consumer experience and to enhance communications activity performance, whilst also mitigating risk (such as the GDPR), to drive product innovation and achieve operational excellence. You’ll drive best in class development processes and ceremonies to ensure the highest standards of delivery.
Your expertise and judgement must ensure that we make the right product decisions to reflect scalability needs, balance latest innovations with development speed and system stability. At all times considering budget and optimisation of existing assets.
As a Principal, you will also lead the Web Engineering ‘Chapter’ within Beamly. We seek individual excellence within collaborative teams.
What you'll do:
- Proactively scans the marketplace for Consumer Experience innovations encompassing User Experience, Design and QA to deliver best in class applications.
- Works seamlessly in Tribe / Squad:
- Bringing in-depth knowledge of browsers cross desktop and mobile devices
- Depth of experience in a continuous delivery environment
- Plus, a keen eye for visual details that results in standout new websites
- Deploying cutting edge techniques / skills across:
- Building and maintaining Node.js + Express services to unleash dynamic site content on our web platform(s)
- Intuitive understanding and use of modular approaches that balance speed of delivery across multiple sites that rely on the same technologies.
- Productionises the development and deployment of best in class applications, from POC to replicable, scalable and scalable architecture.
- Proactively leads work with the wider engineering team to find opportunities for improvement and to deliver solutions
- Supports the development of new processes and ways of working to ensure continuous improvement and innovation
- Delivers continuous service improvement through interfacing across the service management team
- Enhances delivery by supporting internal teams and external service providers to understand and drive full utilization of the platform
- Demonstrates initiative proactively suggesting ways to further improve consumer experience platforms and capability within context of broader infrastructure and capability suite
- Envisions and embeds outstanding web development deployment and operational standards
- Be recognised as a domain leader in definition and design to inspire confidence and credibility amongst your squad and tribe peers of the Web Engineering delivery
- An innately strategic player who effortlessly balances short, mid and long-term priorities
- Has exceptional judgement and decision-making rigour and role models this to others
- Talent magnet who sets a high bar in establishing recruitment excellence and owning capability development across the tribes
- Is avid, curious and thirsty for external inputs and knowledge; shares this widely to build an organisation-wide learning culture
- Coaches organization-wide to catalyze the smart usage of web driven systems to exceed Beamly’s targets
- Proactively brings forward innovation ideas to your guild, sharing knowledge and experience
- Seeks opportunity to own key components of project delivery
- Inspires a sense of team and collaboration
- Contributes to exceptional recruitment and development processes
- Leads by example through living the Beamly values
- Always shoots for the moon for self and tribe across all deliverables
- Is a relentless solution-finder in the face of complex, challenging situations and inspires fellow tribe members with resilient, can-do attitude
- Passionate about systems engineering and delivering top quality maintainable systems
- Pushes for data driven decision-making and endlessly strives for enhancement of systems and processes to make this possible
- Sets clear and measurable objectives with stretch outcomes
- Is a positive cultural beacon for the entire Guild
- Embeds seamless ways of working by introducing simplified structure and organizational efficiency across the guild (for example, through establishing clear on-call rota)
- Always demands quality output generation from guild
- Owns personal development of the guild members through powerful coaching and mentoring interventions
What it's like to work at Beamly?
Working at Beamly means continuing the progress of an indispensable platform, built by a world-class team. We practise continuous delivery, engage in ‘Tech Share’ lunches, and get the whole company together for Friday ‘Show and Tell’ with drinks. We also set time aside for continuous improvement, and take the professional development of our team members seriously.
We are in the heart of the West End in Covent Garden which is well connected and very well served by a myriad of shops, bars and restaurants. Our team regularly organise various social activities which include a lunchtime pool league, weekly football games and a visiting manicure service.
As a Beamly employee, you'll also benefit from...
- A high spec MacBook Pro with a choice of peripherals
- Private medical insurance (taxable)
- Life assurance (4 x base salary)
- 25 days’ holiday per annum
- Extra day's holiday on your birthday
- Childcare vouchers
- Flexible office hours
How our application process works:
- We'll check your CV against the requirements for the role.
- You'll visit us in Covent Garden for a 45-minute interview with the team – exact details to be shared in advance of meeting.
- You may be asked to come in for a second interview before a final decision is made.
- We are eager to build diverse teams and we strive to offer equal opportunity to all applicants. You are welcome to let us know if you have any questions or requests regarding the selection process or the role.
Unfortunately, only applicants who have the right to work in the UK will be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available at this time.
Recruiters: Unsolicited applications submitted by recruitment agents will not be considered